Alec Baldwin has been criticized on social media for reposting a message about gun control – after his own fatal shooting on the set of movie Rust.
The actor, who has been charged following the death of Halyna Hutchins, reposted the statement following the mass shooting at The Covenant School in Nashville, Tennessee, where six people lost their lives.
The post, written on Twitter by rocker Peter Frampton, read: ’26 years ago, a gunman entered Dunblane Primary School in Scotland, killing 16 kids and a teacher. The UK govt responded by enacting tight gun control legislation.
‘In the 9400+ days since, there have been a total of 0 school shootings in the UK.’
Alec Baldwin has been criticized on social media after reposting a message about gun control – after his own fatal shooting on the set of movie Rust. He is pictured in NYC on February 24
Baldwin posted this tweet on his Instagram – but other users were quick to call him out
Baldwin reposted it on his Instagram without a caption – but the post received criticism considering the actor’s accidental shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins in October 2021.
One person wrote: ‘Kettle, pot’ – a phrase used to point out hypocrisy.
Another said: ‘It’s a mental health problem, not a gun problem! If Alec had any firearm training, that poor mother/wife would be alive today!’
A third added: ‘You shot and killed someone with a prop gun you mismanaged, and dare advocate to remove an American right to protect oneself.’
Another said: ‘Didn’t you kill someone?’ while a fifth commenter said: ‘Probably should sit this one out.’
Soon after the image was posted, Baldwin’s comments were limited.
This comes after the Santa Few District Attorney who charged Alec Baldwin with involuntary manslaughter stepped down from the case after a series of setbacks.
First Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies announced today that she would be replaced by two local attorneys, Kari Morrissey and Jason Lewis.
Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins died on set after she was shot with a prop gun
In a statement, she said she had chosen to stand down in order to focus on other cases in the state.
With the announcement, Carmack-Altwies is now the second prosecutor to step down from the case after special prosecutor Andrea Reeb recused herself earlier in the year.
Baldwin’s team had complained about the fact that she was serving as both a prosecutor in his case and a Republican state lawmaker.
Carmack-Altiwes zealously charged Baldwin in January, more than a year after the fatal shooting.
She spoke proudly in interviews about holding the actor to the same standards as everyone else.
In addition to the involuntary manslaughter charge, she charged Baldwin with a harsh firearm enhancement offense.
That charge could have landed him in prison for up to five years if he’d been convicted.
But it wasn’t introduced into law until May 2022 – six months after Baldwin accidentally shot and killed Hutchins on the movie set. A judge dismissed it.